188 Business Innovation & Investment (Significant Investor) Visa
The Significant Investor Visa provides a pathway to permanent residency for business people who want to own and manage a business or to make an investment in Australia.
Significant Investor Visa
The Significant Investor Stream of the Business Innovation & Investment visa is for applicants who are able to invest at least AUD 5 million in a complying significant investment in Australia for at least four years.
Benefits of the Significant Investor Visa
- no age limit
- no points test
- no English language requirement
- reduced residence requirements
Visa Applicant Requirements
- you must be nominated either by Austrade, or by an Australian State or Territory government agency. You must intend to live in your nominating State or Territory.
- you must have net assets of at least AU$5 million, which are legally acquired, unencumbered, and can be used to make your complying investment in Australia.
- you must not have been involved in unacceptable business or investment activities.
If you are in a relationship, the net assets of your spouse or de facto partner will help you meet the Significant Investor Visa requirements.
Significant Investor Visa applicants must:
- invest at least AU$5 million into a complying significant investment in Australia.
- be prepared to hold this investment for at least four years.
- you must be committed to maintaining business or investment activity in Australia after this investment matures.
The complying investment must be made:
- directly in your name or
- through a company in which you own the total amount of issued shares, or
- through a valid trust for which you are the trustee, and you are the beneficiary
The complying significant investment must include:
- at least AU$500,000 invested in venture capital funds or growth private equity funds that invest in start-ups and small private companies, and
- at least AU$1.5 million invested in eligible managed funds or Listed Investment Companies (LICs) that invest in emerging companies listed on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX), and
- a ‘balancing investment’ of up to AU$3 million invested in funds or LICs that may invest in a range of eligible assets.
Eligible assets for your complying investment include:
- securities of a company, a real estate investment trust or an infrastructure trust quoted on the ASX.
- bonds or notes issued by a company that is quoted on the ASX.
- annuities issued by Australian-registered life companies.
- Australian real estate. Direct investment in residential property is excluded and limited to 10 percent indirect investment in residential real estate as part of the fund’s net assets.
- cash held by Australian authorised deposit-taking institutions.
Book a Consultation
Consult with a qualified Registered Migration Agent to be sure you are making the best decisions for your circumstances. Please book an appointment to discuss your Australian visa application with a Registered Migration Agent.