Tourism and Hospitality Added to Critical Work Sectors
Tourism and hospitality has been added to the critical sectors for eligibility for the Subclass 408 COVID-19 Pandemic Event visa. Temporary visa holders employed in the tourism and hospitality sector can now access the Subclass 408 COVID-19 stream for a period of 12 months.
Condition 8105 (I.E the 40 hour per fortnight work limitation) applied during study periods will not be enforced for student visa holders who are working in the tourism and hospitality industry.
The Department of Home Affairs is taking a flexible approach to students employed beyond their 40 hour work limitations in the following industries:
- employed in the health sector, enrolled in a health related course (such as nursing or medicine) and are directed by a health official to assist in the effort against COVID‑19
- employed in aged care by an Approved Provider or Commonwealth-funded aged care service provider before 8 September 2020
- employed by a registered National Disability Insurance Scheme provider before 23 April 2020
- employed in the agriculture sector
- employed in the tourism and hospitality sector